Entries must be submitted to AFR Education Department by March 11th, 2016
2016 Agricultural Achievement Contest Information
This contest is designed to recognize Oklahoma youth who have an interest in livestock, excel in showmanship skills and have knowledge of the livestock industry to include production, management, processing and end product utilization.
The contest stimulates excellence and a quest for knowledge that results in the development of leadership skills applicable to the livestock industry.
Competition will be limited to 4-H & FFA members exhibiting breeding and/or market beef, sheep, goat or swine at the 2015 Oklahoma Youth Expo and who are classified as high school juniors or seniors.
Friday, March 11th, 2016
|Pre-Entry Forms Due to State AFR Office|
Monday, March 14th, 2016
|Immediately following OYE Swine Showmanship AFR Swine Showmanship||AFR Swine Showmanship - Barn 6 Arena|
|Immediately following OYE Swine Showmanship AFR Sheep Showmanship||AFR Sheep Showmanship - Super Barn Arena|
|5:00 PM||Written Test - Barn 3 Sale Pavillion|
Tuesday, March 15th, 2016
|Immediately following OYE Cattle Showmanship||AFR Cattle Showmanship - State Fair Arena|
Wednesday, March 16th, 2016
|Immediately following OYE Goat Showmanship||AFR Goat Showmanship - Super Barn Arena|
Thursday, March 17th 2016
|8:00 AM - 3:00 PM||Top Ten Interviews - Main Show Office|
|5:30 PM||Awards Presentation - State Fair Arena|
- To recognize Oklahoma youth who have an interest in livestock, excel in showmanship skills and have knowledge of the livestock industry to include production, management, processing and end product utilization.
- To stimulate excellence and a quest for knowledge that will result in the development of leadership skills applicable to the livestock industry.
Competition will be limited to 4-H & FFA members exhibiting breeding and/or market beef, sheep, goat or swine at the 2016 Oklahoma Youth Expo and who are classified as high school juniors or seniors.
Pre-entry must be made on the application forms available in OSU County Extension Offices, from Agricultural Education Teachers, the Oklahoma Youth Expo or American Farmers & Ranchers. Entries must be submitted to AFR Youth Development Coordinator by March 11, 2016 . If an applicant is exhibiting animals in more than one species, then a choice of one species must be indicated on the entry form.
- Written Exam (50%)
- All participants will take a written exam:
- 5:00 p.m. Monday, March 14 – Barn 3 Sale Pavilion
- Questions will pertain to all phases of the livestock industry to include current events.
- CIMC Animal Science Curriculum, 3rd Edition, will be used in selecting test questions. All questions will be age appropriate for youth in the range of 16-19 years old.
- Showmanship (10%)
- Each participant will be evaluated on showmanship ability in one class. Each participant must show the animal they have entered. No substitute animals will be allowed.
- Swine Showmanship – Barn 6 Arena – Monday, March 14
- Sheep Showmanship – Super Barn Arena – Monday, March 14
- Cattle Showmanship – State Fair Arena – Tuesday, March 15
- Goat Showmanship – Super Barn Arena – Wednesday, March 16
- Interview (40%)
- Interviews will be held on Thursday, March 17. Official dress of the students’ appropriate organization must be worn.
- OFFICIAL DRESS IS REQUIRED!!
- The ten youth with the highest total scores combining points from showmanship evaluation and the written exam will be interviewed by a panel of individuals representing various segments of the livestock industry.
- Questions will pertain to the applicant’s livestock project (40%) and the livestock industry (60%).
A list of the top 10 participants (Combining Written Exam Totals & Showmanship Scores) will be posted on the American Farmers & Ranchers Youth Program Facebook page, the AFR booth in Barn 3 and outside the Main Show Office by 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 16, 2016.
EACH OF THE TOP 10 FINALISTS WILL RECEIVE CASH AWARDS & JACKETS