2017 Ag Achievement Contest Entries Due by March 10th
This contest is designed to recognize Oklahoma youth who have an interest in livestock, excel in showmanship skills and have knowledge of the livestock industry to include production, management, processing and end product utilization.
- Friday, March 10th
- Pre-Entry Forms Due to State AFR Office
- Monday, March 13th
- Immediately following OYE Swine Showmanship
- AFR Swine Showmanship - Barn 6 Arena
- Immediately following OYE Sheep Showmanship
- AFR Sheep Showmanship - Super Barn Arena
- 5:00 PM
- Written Test - Barn 3 Sale Pavilion
- Tuesday, March 14th
- Immediately following OYE Cattle Showmanship
- AFR Cattle Showmanship - State Fair Arena
- Wednesday, March 15th
- Immediately following OYE Goat Showmanship
- AFR Goat Showmanship - Super Barn Arena
- Thursday, March 16th
- 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM
- Top Ten Interviews – Main Show Office
- 5:30 PM
- Awards Presentation – State Fair Arena
- To recognize Oklahoma youth who have an interest in livestock, excel in showmanship skills and have knowledge of the livestock industry to include production, management, processing and end product utilization.
- To stimulate excellence and a quest for knowledge that will result in the development of leadership skills applicable to the livestock industry.
Competition will be limited to 4-H & FFA members exhibiting breeding or market beef, sheep, goat or swine at the 2017 Oklahoma Youth Expo and who are classified as high school juniors or seniors.
Pre-entry forms are available at American Farmers & Ranchers, the Oklahoma Youth Expo, Agricultural Education Teachers and OSU County Extension Offices. Entries must be submitted to AFR Youth Development Coordinator by March 10, 2017. If an applicant is exhibiting animals in more than one species, then a choice of one species must be indicated on the entry form
Written Exam (40%)
- All participants will take a written exam:
- 5:00 p.m. Monday, March 13 – Barn 3 Sale Pavilion
- Questions will pertain to all phases of the livestock industry to include current events.
- CIMC Animal Science Curriculum - 3rd Edition and CIMC Introduction to Agriscience will be used in selecting test questions. All questions will be age appropriate for youth in the range of 16-19 years old.
- Each participant will be evaluated on showmanship ability in one class. Each participant must show an animal they have entered in the OYE. No substitute animals will be allowed. The AFR Showmanship contest will begin at the conclusion of the OYE Showmanship contest for each species.
- Swine Showmanship – Barn 6 Arena – Monday, March 13
- Sheep Showmanship – Super Barn Arena – Monday, March 13
- Cattle Showmanship – State Fair Arena – Tuesday, March 14
- Goat Showmanship – Super Barn Arena – Wednesday, March 15
- Interviews will be held on Thursday, March 16. Official dress of the students’ appropriate organization must be worn.
- OFFICIAL DRESS IS REQUIRED!!
- The ten youth with the highest total scores combining points from showmanship evaluation and the written exam will be interviewed by a panel of individuals representing various segments of the livestock industry.
- Questions will pertain to the applicant’s livestock project and the agriculture industry.
A list of the top 10 participants (Combining Written Exam Totals & Showmanship Scores) will be posted on the American Farmers & Ranchers Youth Program Facebook page, the AFR booth in Barn 3 and outside the Main Show Office by 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 15, 2017.
- Top 10 Awards
- Each of the top 10 finalists will receive cash awards