NW District Speech Contest Winners Announced
The 2015 American Farmers & Ranchers Northwest District speech contest was held Nov. 5 at the Gene Autry Technical Center, Enid, Okla.
The winners include:
- AFR Novice: 1st, Kole Campbell, Alfalfa County 4-H; 2nd, Alec Anderson, Ringwood; Summer Prince, Garber.
- AFR Junior: 1st, Reagen Detrick, Ringwood; 2nd, Maggie McCally, Kingfisher; 3rd, Braden Burns, Kingfisher.
- AFR Intermediate: 1st, Madelyn Gerken, Kingfisher; 2nd, Kylee Campbell, Alfalfa County 4-H; 3rd, Brylee McCue, Fairview.
- AFR Senior: Maggie Martens, Fairview; 2nd, Colton Smith, Kingfisher; 3rd, Ryli Powell, Ringwood.
- Student Organization, Junior: 1st, Jentry Squires, Kingfisher.
- Student Organization, Intermediate: 1st, Addison Themer, Kingfisher; 2nd, Bree Kisling, Chisholm; 3rd, Brantlee Cox, Morrison.
- Student Organization, Senior: 1st, Taylor Chapman, Kingfisher; 2nd, Holly Barrow, Kingfisher; 3rd, Bethany Niles, Fairview.
- Natural Resources, Junior: 1st, Tate Ott, Ringwood; 2nd, Kaci Jackson, Kingfisher, 3rd, Alexa Anderson, Ringwood.
- Natural Resources Intermediate: 1st, Peyton Burns, Kingfisher; 2nd, Lauren Goodson, Fairview.
- Natural Resources, Senior: 1st, Micah Mueggenborg, Kingfisher; 2nd, Layne Kisling, Chisholm; 3rd, Brayden Foley, Kingfisher.
- Agribusiness Junior: 1st, Victoria Gerken, Kingfisher; 2nd, Harrison Themer, Kingfisher, 3rd, Chelsea Johnson, Kingfisher.
- Agribusiness Intermediate: 1st, Emily Garrett, Kingfisher; 2nd, Hunter Slater, Fairview; 3rd, Kaylee Karcher, Kingfisher.
- Agribusiness Senior: 1st, Abigail Anderson, Ringwood; 2nd, Molly McCully, Kingfisher; 3rd, Logan Holt, Shattuck.
- Agriscience Junior: 1st, Elizabeth Perdue, Kingfisher; 2nd, Chloe Lack, Kingfisher; 3rd, Jaycie Cash, Laverne.
- Agriscience Intermediate: 1st, Lane Dobrovolny, Kingfisher; Rylee Detrick, Ringwood; 3rd, Duke Kelln, Shattuck.
- Agriscience Senior: 1st, Sydnee Gerken, Kingfisher; 2nd, Jaryn Frey, Kingfisher; 3rd, Dawson Haworth, Fairview.
The AFR Speech Contest series consists of five district contests leading to the state competition. At each contest, students grades 4-12 compete in five categories—American Farmers & Ranchers, Natural Resources, Student Organizations, Agribusiness and Agriscience. First and second place winners in each category advance to the state speech contest, resulting in more than 150 finalists advancing.
This year marked the 71st year of the AFR speech contest series. The organization strives to provide Oklahoma youth opportunities to develop into the leaders of tomorrow.
The annual AFR speech contest highlights the talent of Oklahoma youth statewide. The contest is an excellent opportunity for agricultural students to showcase and hone their leadership and public speaking skills. It is an honor for students to make it to the state level and it is an honor for AFR to provide them with the opportunity.
The AFR speech contest series is just one of many AFR Youth Program traditions. The organization also hosts a poster contest, summer youth leadership summit, statewide scholarships, livestock handling and skills contest, livestock judging and grading and many other leadership opportunities.
AFR was established in 1905 as Oklahoma Farmers Union, and is headquartered in Oklahoma City. The organization is actively supportive of Oklahoma’s agricultural industry and rural population, and provides educational, legislative and cooperative programs across the state. AFR Insurance provides automobile, home, farm and life insurance with an emphasis on quality products and exceptional customer service. Available statewide, AFR Insurance is recognized as a leading domestic insurance carrier in the state of Oklahoma.