SE District Speech Contest Winners Announced
The 2015 American Farmers & Ranchers Southeast District speech contest was held Nov. 12 in Wilburton, Okla.
The winners include:
- AFR Novice: 1st, Hayden Harper, Madill; 2nd, Lexie Clawson, Haworth; 3rd, Abbie Jones, Haworth.
- AFR Intermediate: 1st, Stephen Turner, Calera; 2nd, Addison Crowell, Calera.
- AFR Senior: 1st, Mickey Mefford, Canadian; 2nd, Caleb Judkings, Calera; 3rd, Cutter Rasmusson, Haworth.
- Student Organization, Junior: 1st, Maddie Milks, Calera; Hannah Maxwell, Talihina; 3rd, Ivan Garcia, Calera.
- Student Organization, Intermediate: 1st, Jessica Stuart, Valliant; 2nd, Megan Wyatt, Haworth; 3rd, John Shepherd, Valliant.
- Student Organization, Senior: 1st, Tucker Jackson, Calera; 2nd, Will Shelby, Madill.
- Natural Resources, Junior: 1st, Connor Auld, Konawa; 2nd, Jebediah Owen, Tanehill; 3rd, Aaron West, Calera.
- Natural Resources Intermediate: 1st, Rio Bonham, Madill; 2nd, Jannah Reid, Kingston; 3rd, Morgan Shelton, Idabel.
- Natural Resources, Senior: 1st, Sage Counts, Latta; 2nd, Bryce Thralls, Calera; 3rd, Caylee Williams, Wetumka.
- Agribusiness Junior: 1st, Samantha Hunt, Madill.
- Agribusiness Intermediate: 1st, Kalynn Williams, Latta; 2nd, Anna Bolen, Idabel; 3rd, Raegan Wortham, Valliant.
- Agribusiness Senior: 1st, Blaine Maye, Haworth; 2nd, Breckin Horton, Spiro; 3rd, Destiny Kenas, Silo.
- Agriscience Junior: 1st, Kristen Chapa, Madill.
- Agriscience Intermediate: 1st, Mary McKee, Haworth; 2nd, Braeden McKee, Durant; 3rd, Shawna Cooper, Madill.
- Agriscience Senior: 1st, Jackson Rezner; 2nd, Jordan Storey, Valliant; 3rd, Hayley Reeves, Vanoss.
The AFR Speech Contest series consists of five district contests leading to the state competition. At each contest, students grades 4-12 compete in five categories—American Farmers & Ranchers, Natural Resources, Student Organizations, Agribusiness and Agriscience. First and second place winners in each category advance to the state speech contest, resulting in more than 150 finalists advancing.
This year marked the 71st year of the AFR speech contest series. The organization strives to provide Oklahoma youth opportunities to develop into the leaders of tomorrow.
The annual AFR speech contest highlights the talent of Oklahoma youth statewide. The contest is an excellent opportunity for agricultural students to showcase and hone their leadership and public speaking skills. It is an honor for students to make it to the state level and it is an honor for AFR to provide them with the opportunity.
The AFR speech contest series is just one of many AFR Youth Program traditions. The organization also hosts a poster contest, summer youth leadership summit, statewide scholarships, livestock handling and skills contest, livestock judging and grading and many other leadership opportunities.
AFR had its beginning in 1905 as Oklahoma Farmers Union, and is headquartered in Oklahoma City. The organization is actively supportive of Oklahoma’s agricultural industry and rural population, and provides educational, legislative and cooperative programs across the state. AFR Insurance provides automobile, home, farm and life insurance with an emphasis on quality products and exceptional customer service. AFR Insurance is recognized as a leading domestic insurance carrier with 162 agencies serving communities throughout Oklahoma.